Monday, June 15, 2009

Sunshine and Church

FINALLY. Beautiful weather.
I've been trying to not let the issue of weather affect my outlook, but the fact of the matter is that it does! Winter is soooo long here...we dream of summer for months and months (and months and months), June comes and the expectation is that June should be nice! But, it really hasn't been. I was just about to throw in the towel, move to Florida to live with some nasty bugs and be done with the Midwest once and for all!!! Fortunately for everyone involved, yesterday and today have been wonderful. So, I am staying put - for now.
I've been doing really well with spending quiet time with the Lord each morning. The other day my mom called during one of those precious quiet times and I nearly bit her head off. I learned in that moment that I have a long way to go! I apologized later, but she told me that it didn't surprise her which basically indicated that I must have a lot farther to go than I thought. I read in one of Wayne Dyer's books (love that guy) about how the people that frustrate us the most are our life's greatest teachers...our reminders that we don't have it all worked out just yet.
I'm trying to get up even earlier so that after my little bible study I have time to sit still and listen for God's whisper. I have a lot of aspects of my life right now that have big fat question marks attached to them. Decisions to make (or not to make), stuff like that. I have been thinking about church a lot lately. I haven't been ready to make a Sunday morning commitment for a long time. I hadn't been ready to even think about going to church...until recently. I know that God himself placed a desire in my heart to begin. Suddenly, it's as if a huge neon sign was flashing in front of me on my path...IT'S TIME is all it said. There is a local church that I've been thinking about. I just felt something about that church. I didn't know why, I try not to ask so many questions at this point in my life. I'm not kidding, the very next day one of my friends (who goes there once in awhile) asked if I wanted to go to church with her. Then, one of our clients at the salon started talking to me about the church. God knows I am someone who requires a lot of signs from him indicating if I am on track with something...and I will tell you, if that something is from him...then the signs, they will come! So, Sunday I wake up and it's absolutely beautiful outside. Rob wants to go boating for the day and I remember how I really want to be obedient to God and how I really do desire to go to church. So, I told him I'd meet him and Emily afterwards. Don't wait for me, just go boating and we'll meet later. It would have been really easy to give in and just go play with them. God is obviously doing some work in me.
Church was great. I knew it would be. There were friendly faces there, the music was uplifting, the service was powerful. And, the message .... oh, the message. It was all about how we need to share Jesus with others. In particular, people that do not know Christ at all. This message went straight to my heart...it is so easy for me to share myself and my relationship with God with those people that I know are of the Lord. It is so easy for me to spend that quiet time in the morning with Him...just the two of us. But, spread the message ... I don't do that. But, the Lord is speaking to me and I am doing my best to listen and then take that faithful, yet frightening, first step.

No comments: