Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Stuff

While cleaning out Grandma's house, we've been making piles for her church's annual rummage sale. I know that Grandma would love for the money from her things to go to her church. It makes giving away some of her things much easier. Of course, lots of stuff is being kept with the house and everyone in the family has gotten what they want already. I learned yesterday that the rummage sale is next weekend, so I need to get on it and while I'm at it I am pretty sure I have loads of stuff at our house that I could afford to give away! That would sure make Rob happy. He thinks I have too much stuff (I am not denying this fact). I'll never forget his face when I moved in with him. I guess he didn't realize how much (literal) baggage was coming with me!

It doesn't take long to accumulate stuff. I am working on simplifying. I am attempting to go through my things on a regular basis - I am working on being less attached to the stuff.

I think about Niha, the little girl in India that we sponsor. I think about how she doesn't know about having all this stuff and it literally makes me sick at our consumerism...but, it's what we grew up in, it's what we know. Just like how she is probably happy with very little because she doesn't know any different. I really want to be happy with little. I don't want stuff to get in the way of that.

No comments: