Monday, October 12, 2009

Joy in the Ordinary


"The joy of the LORD is your strength." (Nehemiah 8:10)

At Grandma's funeral the Pastor spoke about how often people are summed up at the end of their lives by what they did for work, what activities they enjoyed, and what they were involved with. It was really very cool because he said that the only thing he felt that defined Her life was her relationship with God. I thought about how her mission was to have all over her loved ones love Jesus and have that relationship with Him. She was never pushy about it. She simply led by example.

I am thinking today about how often we are looking for the next thing to make us happy. Right now for me I feel that would be a baby and moving into Grandma and Grandpa's house. Certainly those would make me extremely happy, but I think I often make the mistake in thinking that I won't really truly be happy until I have that. And, if I keep thinking that way - it will be true.

I've been really attempting to find joy in the ordinary day the way my Grandma did. Every moment of every day was an occasion for her. She got it. She got joy because she didn't wait for the big stuff to be happy...

I've felt joyful this weekend. Yesterday, we took Emily to a pumpkin farm and bought pumpkins and went into a little haunted house they had there. I'm going to bake the pumpkin seeds. I've always wanted to do that. And, you know what? I am going to find joy in baking them. I might even wear one of Grandma's aprons. Tonight we're having Rob's parents over for dinner. I'm making chili. My first time. And, you know what? I am going to find joy in that - too. Afterwards, we're all going to go bowling. The local bowling alley is having $1 bowling for today's holiday (Columbus Day). And, you know what? Yep, you guessed it ... I am SO going to find joy in that.

You see...my Grandma's example is more alive in my heart today than it was when she was here. Her leaving has made me rethink a lot of things. I really, really believe that finding the joy in the ordinary day is the secret to loving life. There are a lot more ordinary days than big ones!

No comments: