Monday, November 9, 2009

Resurrection


Sunday I began a resurrection project. There's no looking back. It's an uphill journey and it's going to be for awhile.

Sunday, I spent the entire day at Grandma and Grandpa's house by myself. I am officially the Project Manager. The organizer. The decision maker. You see my Grandparents have a beautiful home that Rob and I will be moving into someday. But, it's filled with lots and lots of stuff. I spent the day sorting through cabinets, drawers, medicine cabinets, closets. Looking each item over, thinking about it, making a decision about where it will end up. It was emotionally exhausting. But, it was also extremely inspiring (more on that in a future post).

What day will we move in? I haven't a clue. I mean we still have a house to sell. I found a little note in a drawer that said my Grandparents moved in on February 4th, 1961. I imagine the excitement they must have felt to finally have it built. To move in and call it Home. To raise the family there. To grow old there. It's that kind of place. The one that you move in to and stay put for a long, long time. It's a commitment.

But, it's filled with endless possibilities for creating precious life-filled moments. I can look out the windows and see hundreds of trees, a family of deer, foxes, lots and lots of barn cats, horses. We can hop on our go-cart, scooter, or my brother's 4-wheeler. Heck a John Deer tractor or a backhoe if we wanted!!! Roxy will have lots of smelling to do. She can chase kitties into the woods (she would never hurt one, she just wants to be friends). She can go visit Grandma (my Mom) and eat leftover steak (hot and fresh off of the grill). There will be endless leaves to rake and then jump in, wood to chop and then burn in the fireplace, brownies to bake for unexpected visitors, meals to pray over. There will be beautiful sunsets over the field, flowers to plant, weeds to pull, tons of grass to mow. A great place to raise kids. I love the idea of our children playing near the stream, riding their bikes down the big hill, learning about nature...rather than sitting in front of a t.v playing video games.

This is the kind of place that needs a lot of attention...in fact, this house begs for it. This house is very much alive. This house has spirit. This house is used to activity. This house is used to love. This house is used to laughter. This house is used to smelling like freshly baked cookies. Rob and I have been mulling over the decision for a long time now. Going back and forth. Telling ourselves that we aren't the kind of people that can keep up a house like this. So much house, so much landscaping. We already feel busy.

In those final moments of hesitation, the house won by throwing down two cards that it knew we couldn't resist ... Family and Joy.

2 comments:

Ashley C. said...

Krissy, you are an amazing writer. I'm glad to know that you've been able to make it over there alone. I would love to come check it out some day! :-]

Kris said...

I SO want you to come and check out the house. I think you would see what I see. :)