Monday, November 2, 2009

63 & 31

Tomorrow my Dad will be 63 and I will be 31. Next year I will be exactly half his age. Sharing your birthday with someone as important as your Father makes your birthday extra special. Double the joy! Mom always makes an amazing dinner (our favorite is roast and mashed potatoes). Usually she makes us both our own cake. Mine is always Red Velvet and Dad's is usually Banana (some years his cake request is different). One year Mom was out of red food coloring and made me a Purple Velvet cake. This year she is not making my cake, it's the first time - ever. It's a lot of work (she does not make cakes from a box), I told her not to worry about it. I meant it, but at the same time I just felt like things are starting to change. Grandma won't be here.

One of my greatest friends ever, Erin, called me tonight and told me her Mom has Lymphoma... cancer. Tomorrow, they find out exactly what stage it is in. I can never get used to the fact that life can take a serious turn in one single day. I am sad over a cake and the change that signifies, and here my dear friend is worrying about her Mother's future. The good news is that the family is close and have Faith. I am reminded over and over again that life is a gift. We are blessed to even be living and breathing on this Earth.

The fact is life here on Earth is not fair. People who don't want babies become pregnant. People who want babies can't have babies. People who take good care of themselves get cancer. People who drink and smoke and do drugs don't get cancer. I can't even try to make sense of this.

I have moments of feeling defeated by all that surrounds me. So many people that I love are hurting. But, I will not disappoint God by not trusting His plan for all of His children. We were not promised an easy road. But, we were promised that we would not be alone.


Tonight, Rob and Emily surprised me with a Red Velvet cake from a local bakery. So, it wasn't Mom's homemade - but, it was still given to me with love. And, it was good. A reminder that while life changes ... (and it has to)... new traditions can begin.

No comments: