Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Keeping Hope

I have always loved the poet, Emily Dickinson. She was such a lonely (socially) girl, but what thoughts on life she had! For as social as I am, there has always been that part of me that feels lonely. I'm guessing all of us have that, it's part of being human. Even when you fill yourself up with God, there is just that lonely human aspect about life here on Earth.

As much as things are going well, I still feel disjointed. Rob and I talked last night about having children and our true feelings on the subject. We haven't opened up to each other about what happened in quite awhile though we both think about it more often than not.

What it came down to, is that of course we still want to have children - and the longer it takes for it to happen the more we're finding that we're becoming unsure (afraid, really) about it. We both wanted the child we were going to have. It's hard to move completely past that. But, one thing that holds true is that we have to maintain our hope. If we are without hope then we have nothing.

I recently bought a beautiful, decorative, hanging plaque that has the beginning of one of my favorite Emily Dickinson poems written on it.

HOPE is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul.

This morning, I am praying for that hope to stay put. To not fly away, but to grab hold of Rob and I tightly and never let us go.